Monday, January 6, 2014

Cute Felt Anniversary Card!


Here is an easy tutorial on how to make physical felt cards for your loved ones, for any occasion! 

You can hang it on a wall, and it would make an adorable addition to any room. 


December 7th was Dave and I's 7th anniversary!  I was 15 when we got together, and he was 16.  He's the best thing that has ever happened to me! 

Our mutual favorite animal [or one of our favorites] is the manatee.  They have no natural enemies and our quite fast.  They also are very intelligent.  

You will need:
  • A lot of different kinds of felt, mostly bits and pieces, with one to two solid pieces for a background
  • Glue, hot glue or fabric/tacky glue
  • Paint or puff paint for details

All in all this card will end up being $3 to $4
I looked up some different cartoon manatees to get a basic shape.
I needed pieces of gray for the manatees themselves.
I chose to use a pretty blue for the background color. I glued two sheets together to make them more sturdy.
I chose to use felt in the color "Silver Grey" for my manatees.
I traced a basic shape onto the felt.
Here it is with my hand for sizing purposes.  I realized that it looks quite small on its own, but they are actually larger.
I then cut out the manatee from the sheet of felt with some fabric scissors.  
I decided to make the marked side of the manatee the back side.  I needed two manatees cut.
I then traced it right side up, to make two different facing manatees.
I cut out little fins similar to the shape and size of my tracing.  I think they are just adorable.

Here is a close up of the manatees.  I made them hold hands! Then I cut out a little mouth for the manatees.
I made the girl manatee, the one on the right side, have a smaller mouth than the male manatee.
This is what they look like with both their mouths, a little zoomed out.  
I decided to make the girl manatee look a little girlier and cut out two hearts and a circle out of pink felt.  I put the points of the heart together, and put the circle on top of the points.  I often fuss over the shape of bows, but thought this was simple and cute, and fitting, as well.
Oh, I just think they are so cute! I used hot glue to affix all these pieces, but you could use fabric or tacky glue as well.

You can see that they are hearts and a circle in this picture.  

Then I decided to add pennant flags to the top.  I cut out 16 triangles and glued them to the top.  Five for happy and eleven for anniversary.  
I overlapped them a bit, as shown in this picture.  I wrote "happy anniversary" in puff paint on them, but I do not have a picture of it yet.  
Then I started making food items for the side, to make it a true manatee party.  I cut a tan circle out, as well as a smaller yellow circle, and five little red circles.  This, is a half pepperoni, half cheese pizza.  I made this because I am vegetarian and Dave and I always make our pizzas like this.
Then I decided to make a cheese quesadilla.  I cut a cream circle and a yellow half circle.  
I folded the cream circle over the yellow circle and glued it all down.
After cutting out the red circles, I noticed that a perfect little bow tie had been made.  I decided it was perfect for DaveO manatee. :]


Here is a little cupcake I made, with a cherry on top.
These are the broken down parts of the cupcake.
I then decided to make a burrito, after our love of Chipotle. 
Here is what my card looked like at this point. 
I folded in two sides of the circle, and rolled it up, then glued it down.
This is what it looked like finished. 
I then glued that down.  
This picture may be more clear.

I then added little puff paint eyes for the manatees, where they were shown in my tracing.  I don't have a picture of them after I put them on, but I will put one up soon!

There are all kinds of details and options in making felt cards like this.

Thanks so much for reading!
♥Riley

P.S.  I'd love to see your interpretations! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment