Saturday, October 5, 2013

Halloween Crafts for Dogs: ty Beanie Baby Tags!

Halloween is quickly approaching, and for many that means finding, picking out, and/or making Halloween costumes.  Here's a quick craft that costs less than $1 and an hour of your time.  I chose to make one for my dog!!

Here is my chihuahua-yorkie mix Jasper in his beanie baby costume! I know if he had been a beanie baby he would've been my favorite!

Here's what you'll need:

  • scrap of red felt
  • scrap of white felt
  • white thread
  • needle
  • scissors
Optional:
  • leather punch
  • white puff paint
First thing's first, make a pattern! I folded a piece of paper in half and cut out a perfectly symmetrical heart.  Then I opened up the heart and folded a separate piece of paper in half.  Then I put the open heart over the folded paper, leaving a little of the heart over the side of the fold.  
 Here's what the paper pattern ends up looking like.  You'll need to trace and cut out one in red and one in white, the same size.
 Tracing and cutting out the white, and a better picture of the heart stencil.

Then pin the two together and blanket stitch them together, the whole way around!  I realized I didn't have a picture of me sewing the "ty" on.  To do this, I traced the letters t and y into a piece of white felt, and cut them out. Then I stitched them on to the red part.  I highly recommend you do this before sewing the red and white together.  Hindsight.
Then you'll need to poke a hole to be able to attach it to things.  I used my leather punch [which was actually kinda difficult] because I have one and never really get to use it.  I bought it from Michael's when I was making my purse, so that I could attach the chain.  It was somewhere between $10-15 before my 40% off coupon.  Pretty good deal! I really recommend getting one that has metal tips though.  The plastic ended ones won't cut through ANYTHING.

Just look at his creepy little smile!

Then just attach the tag to yourself or your dog or cat or anything else you can imagine! I used a hair tie to attach it to my dog's collar.  He hated it. But he gets really worried when we do anything to his collar.  I think other dogs, especially those who like dressing up, won't mind it.  


Here are some more pictures of my hunny bunny in his tag.
 He's so adorable,  how could I not take a million pictures? :)
Another way I mentioned is to puff paint on the letters, instead of cutting them out and sewing them on.  I prefer this method, but don't have pictures. The "ty" turns out much brighter if puff painted and is somewhat shiny.  It takes a lot less time than sewing, but it's totally up to you! 

You can also write their name and info inside! Jasper's will say "Jasper Q!" and his birthday :)


Thank you so much for reading my blog post! See you all soon!
♥ Riley

P.S., if you like this blog post and would like to see more, please subscribe :) If you try this or any of my other tutorials, please send me your work, I'd love to see it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment